Hart, Son, Peard & Co.
Dates: c. 1842 - after 1920
Metalworkers in Wych St, off the Strand, and in Birmingham. Founded by Joseph Hart, an ironmonger, they became artistic metalworkers specializing in ecclesiastical manufactures after merging with Peard & Jackson in 1866-7. They were represented at all the major international exhibitions: London in 1851 and 1862; Paris in 1855, 1867 and 1878, Dublin in 1855 and 1865, and Philadelphia in 1876, winning many medals. They made designs by J.P. Seddon and B.J. Talbert, and at least one example of silver for William Burges. William Butterfield used them to make his silver plate designs in the early 1870s and Alfred Waterhouse contracted them to supply ironwork for almost all his architectural commissions. The company had an agent, Henri Collet, in Paris.